Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Commercial Hedgehog Food

As far as I know, most people use cat food (sometimes dog food too) to feed their hedgies. Although not many, there are still food specially formulated for hedgehogs available on the market. I did a little research. This list is by no means a recommendation list. It only shows the fact that they exist. Also, the order means nothing at all either. It's totally random. The numbering is just to count how many are out there.

If I know the company name, I'll list it and list the products. Otherwise I am just gonna post the product name.


1. Eight in One Pet Products

a. Ultra-Blend Diet for Hedgehogs


b. Crunchy Treat - for Hedgehogs


There seems to be different package (appearance.) I posted the newest version of the package.


2. Pet-pro

a. 1st Crumbs
b. Spikes Delite Premium
c. Spikes Delite Pet-Diet
d. Spikes Delite Lite-Diet
e. Spikes Delite Pro-Diet Chicken 'N Rice


Seems like the packaging for all the products are the same except for the product name. I might have to ask Spike if this would really be his delight. XD


3. Sun Seed
a. SunSeed Sunscription Vita Hedgehog Adult Food


The company website doesn't really tell you anything.
And I don't understand why is the name of the food has to be so freaking long.


4. Exotic Nutrition Company

a. Hedgehog Complete


b. Insectivore-Fare


c. Insect-Eater Diet


d. Mazuri Insectivore-Diet


I actually bought the Hedgehog Complete for Spike and he seems to like it, but there is really no way to know if the nutrition is exactly what he needs.(shrug)

5. Vitakraft



Can't find the product on their homepage. Saw some very bad review of it when I was searching for the picture...

6. Pretty Pets Hedgehog Food



I don't get if there are two kinds or if "premium" and "maintenance" are just two words in one long name.


7. Wildthings Hedgehog Food



8. F.M. Brown's Nutrition Plus Hedgehog Food
or F.M. Brown's Zoo Vitals(with or without "s") Hedgehog Food




9. Spike's Dinner


Another hedgehog food that is named with "Spike." Makes me wonder if there is really
not many hedgehogs named Spike.



Again, I have to say, this is just a list of hedgehog food out there. Even though they are all called hedgehog food, some of them have ingredients that are actually not suitable for hedgehogs. Many hedgehog owners even claim that hedgehog food is actually not as good as weight-control cat food. (Of course there is opposite opinion too.) It's really hard to tell what is the best. I guess hedgehog owners just have to watch out themselves.

No comments: